Glamping. What to expect?


Most, if not all, of the articles I’ve written on my website are retrospective but this one is different in that I am writing about something I’m yet to experience – GLAMPING.The back story to this is: I accidentally found out that my husband has booked us on a getaway to the mountains. Not only that. It’s a place I haven’t been to yet (it has just been on my bucket list for a long time) PLUS we will be doing something we haven’t done, at least not together, and that’s GLAMPING. I’ve never been keen on camping for many reasons but I’d say the hygiene and comfort factors are probably my biggest things on the list. The idea of not knowing where or if I’ll be showering doesn’t quite go down well with me. This topped by the amounts of time one will invariably spend around fires trying to fix something to eat, keep warm etc, it’s just not my idea of a holiday. Someone once said ‘camping is something done by rich people who pay money to live like poor people’. I won’t argue that. Besides, how would I know because I’ve never gone camping before. For those reasons, some people would consider me to be 'unadventurous' but trust me, it has more to do with me being particular about the kind of adventres I’m willing to participate in. Let’s not debate the matter because the main purpose for today is to solicit information, ideas, advice for an experience I seem to be increasingly excited about. Truly!

My husband clearly understands where I draw my lines in terms of adventure hence he opted to go the glamping route instead of traditional camping, which I’m almost certain he would have had to work hard to convince me on. After discovering what was supposed to be a surprise (and it still is a surprise in many ways) I started googling things about ‘glamping’. I must say the images I’ve come across have enticed me and warmed me up to the idea. So, when I say I’m excited, I truly mean it. I’m still cautious and have taken the info I found online with a pinch of salt, understanding that not every glamping experience will be the same as the next. I’m also not going to be naïve about this and expect it to be all ‘glam’ just because the term suggests it will be.

I am however, very keen to learn from anyone who has done either camping or glamping before. What was your experience? Where did you go? What would you advise be to someone who has never even done the ‘traditional’ camping before? What items would you say are essential to take? Basically, I just need any information that will help me to prepare myself mentally and otherwise because this is where my husband and I will end the year 2018. So, I want it to be a great experience. Please indulge me!


Comments

Popular Posts